Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 23rd- The Midnight Sun: a Norwegian summer!



So the sun never really sets. Or at least its never really dark. Here is some facts and personal experiences with this event.

Wikipedia (amazing tool):
The midnight sun is a natural phenomenon occurring in summer months at latitudes north and nearby to the south of the Arctic Circle, and south and nearby to the north of the Antarctic Circle where the sun remains visible at the local midnight. Given fair weather, the sun is visible for a continuous 24 hours, mostly north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle. The number of days per year with potential midnight sun increases the farther poleward one goes.

So when my mom and I got to Bergen we had great weather. Due to that, even in southern Norway had light nights. In Oslo, the nights overall had less light but still very different from a Midwest summer night. In Trondheim, even though it rains quite often here, the nights require extra help to sleep.

Tips for sleeping with the lights on- buy a good eye mask. I'm so glad Mom thought to pack 2! No matter the amount of light, its all darkness for me to sleep! Also diffusing the light can be attempted, but masks work best.

Yesterday was the summer solstice. I woke up at 2:30 am on the 23rd and it could have been 3 in the afternoon it was so bright. PEOPLE: I WORE SUNGLASSES YESTERDAY. The sun was out, no clouds, warm (ok, like in the 60s, but still). It was awesome. After work I lounged in the backyard. You know when you havent seen the sun in a while and you start to feel depressed? Well yesterday I got my medicine and feel all better.

Anita got home from work and we picked up Kristin and headed to Neils mother's summer cottage. On the fjord (picture) and had a picnic. I had read that people really celebrate the summer solstice, but they told me this is just for the good weather. Bonfire, beautiful sights, grilled food, and NO BUGS. They just dont get bugs close to the water like we do. In the forests, yes, but not by the water. Nils met us there for dinner and a bunch of his family was there.

Cutest part of the night: I taught 3 little boys (2-4 yrs old) how to roast marshmallows. They couldnt understand my words so I was just demonstrating. One of their moms came over and started translating for me. Great night. Awesome to relax in warmth by the water, have a bonfire, and try new foods again.

The second picture was taken by me from my bedroom at 11:56....yes people no setting sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment